DACA recipient charged with illegally re-entering the U.S.

Juan Manuel Montes Bojorquez

By: Alicia Caldwell | The Wall Street Journal

A Mexican man who earlier this year sued the Trump administration, alleging he had been unlawfully deported, was arrested this week and charged with illegally re-entering the U.S.

Juan Manuel Montes Bojorquez, 23 years old, was arrested near Calexico, Calif., along the Mexican border, on Monday, according to federal court records.

Mr. Montes, who dropped his lawsuit in October, will likely be deported, and he could face as long as two years in prison if found to have illegally re-entered the U.S. after being deported. He could also be barred from coming back to the U.S. for years.

The U.S. Border Patrol said Mr. Montes was found about a mile north of the U.S.-Mexico border in a scrub-covered stretch of desert. The arresting agent wrote that Mr. Montes told officials he was planning to go to Sacramento.

Mr. Montes sued the Trump administration in April, alleging that Border Patrol agents in Calexico arrested and deported him in February even though he had been protected from deportation under the Obama era Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.

U.S. Homeland Security officials said Mr. Montes returned to Mexico voluntarily, which caused him to lose his DACA privileges.

Mr. Montes was thought to be the first DACA recipient deported by the Trump administration. Mr. Trump has made cracking down on illegal immigration a top priority of his administration.

In September the Trump administration announced plans to end the DACA program, which has protected from deportation hundreds of thousands of young immigrants brought to the U.S. as children.

Click here to read more.